In the state of Arizona, house fires can occur for a variety of different reasons. Regardless of the cause of the fire, these incidents can cause catastrophic damage to your home. Below are some tips to help you avoid house fires and protect your property.
1. Be Careful with Indoor and Outdoor Cooking.
Both indoor and outdoor cooking can pose fire hazards if you aren’t careful. Inside your home, for example, grease fires can quickly lead to a fire that engulfs the entire home. Also, when cooking outdoors, you may risk setting your house on fire if you grill too close to it. To prevent indoor and outdoor cooking mishaps, keep all flammable materials away from your grill, stove and other sources of heat. Use caution when cooking, and keep all of your appliances as clean as possible.
2. Be Careful When Using Candles.
Candles can add feelings of warmth and coziness to your home, especially during formal dinners or a romantic evening. In some cases, you may also burn candles to bring a specific fragrance to your home or to cover up certain odors. Unfortunately, improper use of candles is a common cause of house fires. To protect against house fires caused by candles, make sure that you are never lighting a candle close to a flammable material or substance. Never leave a candle burning overnight or when you aren’t nearby to supervise.
3. Keep Your Dryer Vent Clean.
Your dryer is an essential appliance, but it can also be a danger if you don’t maintain it properly. When the dryer vent becomes clogged, the heat from the dryer can pose a risk of fire. To prevent fires related to a clogged dryer vent, clean your dryer vent frequently.
4. Take Care of Flammable Liquids.
Most homeowners keep solvents and other flammable liquids in their home for a variety of purposes. However, if you aren’t careful with these liquids, you may experience a destructive house fire. To prevent house fires related to flammable liquids, be sure to store them away from extreme heat or any source of flames. You should also clean up any spills and avoid making piles of rags that have been soaked with these liquids.
5. Protect Against Electrical Fires.
Electrical fires are one of the most common causes of fires in the home. These fires can spread quickly, causing significant damage to your property. To prevent electrical fires from occurring, make sure the wiring in your home is safe. Be sure that you have AFCI outlets in all locations where required, and never overload any electrical outlet in your home.
Even when you have done everything you can to prevent fires in your home, fires can still occur. In these situations, having home insurance to protect your property is essential. Contact Harnish Insurance Group today to discuss your coverage needs.